You drove your real estate agent crazy with questions during showings to pick the perfect house in Somerset County, NJ. You researched the features on your SUV, right down to the leather seats. You pore over design magazines to get the perfect look for everything from your wardrobe to kitchen.
So why would you ever consider anything less than professional design for your landscape?
Simply put, the best landscape design in Somerset County NJ is one that is executed by professionals. They have the expertise you need in planning, designing and the physical execution of your plan, from earth moving to adding the perfect plants for the finishing touch.
The Pitfalls of DIY Landscaping
Some people love getting outside and digging in the dirt, and for a small flower garden or vegetable patch, gardening is a wonderful, rewarding hobby. This should never be confused with landscaping, though. Full-service installation of patios, paths and structures along with permanent plantings of trees and shrubs is a much bigger job, and it requires a whole different set of skills than the average home gardener has mastered.
When you try to do your landscaping yourself, you could fall victim to these common errors and problems:
- Ineffective Design: Professional designers know how to frame good views and screen out your neighbor’s trash cans. They also understand how space should “flow” for maximum comfort and efficiency to make the most of your square footage. Unless you have a design degree, you’re probably missing the subtleties that make for an excellent overall design.
- Improper Grading and Drainage: Most DIYers fail to take into account the lay of the land. Patios should slope slightly away from your house to shed water away from the foundation, for instance, and plantings should be planned carefully so plants get the right amount of water and drainage naturally.
- Forgotten Permits: Landscape design in Somerset County NJ is pretty heavily regulated, and you’ll need to pull permits and pass inspections of your work when you add structures and do major projects. If you don’t know how to navigate the red tape at City Hall, your project could grind to a halt.
- Limited Materials: Professional designers have access to a whole slate of building materials and plants that just don’t make it to the big box stores. If you’re looking for high-end or unusual materials for your project, working with a pro will vastly increase your selection.
- Hidden Costs: Many DIYers underestimate the real cost of their project. You may do a fine job pricing out materials, but don’t forget that you’ll also need to rent or buy specialized tools and factor in delivery charges.
- Lengthy Delays: Bad weather, late deliveries and busy contractors can all add up to serious deals in your project. When this happens, you’ll need to be flexible about taking time off from work or postponing planned vacations and activities to get the job done.
What You Get When You Hire a Professional Landscape Design Company in Somerset County
If all the work — and potential problems — that go into a DIY landscaping project sound exhausting, it’s because they are! Hiring a professional instead makes solid financial sense, and it will free up your time to enjoy your life instead of grappling with a difficult project that’s outside of your area of expertise.
Not sure what to expect when it comes to working with a professional designer? A high-quality landscape design company in Somerset County NJ follows a specific process to make sure you get the best possible landscape design:
- Surveying the Land: When you first meet with a potential designer, he or she will visit your property to get a sense of its full potential — and its problem spots. They’ll take measurements and survey the space to plan important infrastructure details, supply appropriate drainage, etc.
- Designing the Layout: Next, your designer will discuss your ideas and encourage you to describe your “wish list” for your property. This should be a collaborative effort with lots of back and forth to help you nail down your ideal landscape design.
- Choosing the Materials: Once your landscape designer has presented the layout and you approve it, you’ll work together to select materials for your design. Everything from stone pavers to the smallest flower should work together harmoniously, and you’ll get plenty of guidance to make sure everything complements your home.
- Building the Design: At this point, your work is done, and the professionals take over. With your approved plans and pricing in hand, they’ll pull permits, grade your property, and bold the landscape of your dreams. They also take care of all the inspections and make sure each plant is laid in carefully to get a good start on life.
Choosing the Right Professional
To make sure you have the best landscape design in NJ, it’s most important to find the right professional. It’s always a good idea to interview several landscapers to compare estimates and get a feel for different design sensibilities. You’ll know you’ve found the right person to work with when you love their portfolio of past work and hear excellent reviews when you contact their references. You should also sense that they are listening carefully to your vision and are treating your project like the one-of-a-kind job that it is. When you can check all these boxes, you’ll know you’ve found the right designer to get the best possible landscape design for your NJ home.
Why Choose Parker Homescape?
We have transformed hundreds of landscapes in and around the Somerset, Hunterdon, Essex and Union County areas, including Bedminster and Warren since our founding in 2006. Unlike many of our competitors, we undertake only one client project at a time, ensuring that every deadline is met and that every detail is considered. Additionally, a lead foreman with over 30 years of experience oversees your project from start to finish. This approach makes us one of the most sought after landscape design companies in Central New Jersey, and translates into a seamless, stress-free experience for you and your family.
Whether creating an outdoor living space, installing custom landscape lighting or building a custom outdoor fireplace, we believe that each landscape project is unique. We proudly promise customized solutions, superior customer service and competitive pricing for each of our clients.