One of the best ways to add value to your home is to invest in landscaping services. Updating your landscape can transform a nondescript house into a desirable showplace. In addition, landscaping elements, such as walkways and exterior lighting features, can enhance the safety of your property, while proper drainage installations can protect your home and yard from water damage.
All of these benefits come at a cost that will vary depending on the landscaping service you choose. According to the old adage, not all contractors are created equal, but choosing a highly skilled company to provide these services is essential in ensuring an increased resale value of your home.
An Overview of Current Landscape Prices in Somerset County NJ
Many homeowners spend between 12-25% of the value of their residence on landscape services during the duration of their home ownership. Individual project prices vary considerably in central New Jersey, falling between an average low cost of $450 and an average high cost of $47,000.
Here’s a look at some of the current prices for popular landscaping and hardscaping projects in central NJ. Although ranges can deviate much lower or higher, below are average labor and material costs for a variety of exterior home improvements:
- Landscape Design Services: $2,500-$7,500
- Landscape Installation (based on 1 side of a house): $4,500-$9,000
- Sod installation (Based on a 1,000 square foot area): $1,250-$2,000
- Seed installation (Based on a 1,000 square foot area): $800-$1,200
- Mulch installation (Based on a 1,000 square foot area): $700-$850
- Pond or Water Feature Installation: $5,450-$12,000
- Composite Deck & Railing Construction/Installation (based on a 500 square foot deck): $42,500-$62,500
- Patio Installation – Paver or Natural Stone (based on a 500 square foot patio at grade): $8,950-$21,000
- Walkway or Path Installation – Paver or Natural Stone (based on a 150 square foot area): $2,950-$6,300
- Asphalt Driveway Installation (Based on 1,000 square foot surface area): $3,500-$4,500
- Belgian Block Curbing for a Driveway (Based on 100 Linear foot of curbing): $1,800-$2,600
- Drainage Installation: $2,500-$10,000
- Sprinkler System Installation: $2,500-$8,500
- Outdoor LED Lighting Installation (Based on 20 Lights): $4,500-$8,500
- Retaining or Seating Wall Construction (Based on a 15 foot long x 21” high wall) : $2,450-7,500
- Fire Pit Installation: $3,500-$8,500
- Outdoor Fireplace Installation: $13,000-$25,000
- Outdoor Kitchen/Bar Installation (without countertop and grill appliances): $8,500-$20,000
- Outdoor Kitchen Granite Countertop: $65-100 per square foot
- Front Staircase: $3,500-$8,500
- Two Pillars: $2,900-$7,500
- Stone or Brick Veneers on Foundation Walls: $36-53 per square foot
- Pool (Vinyl Standard Size, including standard equipment, no pool decking/coping): $35,000-$40,000
- Pool (Gunite Standard Size, including standard equipment, no pool decking/coping): $65,000-$85,000
- Pool Decking Installation – Paver or Natural Stone (based on a 500 square foot surface area): $8,950-$21,000
- Covered Roof or Pavilion (15’x15’ fan and recessed lights): $15,000-$18,000
- Pergola (14’x16’): $5,000-$9,500
- Outdoor living room installation: $20,000+
For Somerset County NJ residents, landscape pricing is competitive with the national averages. This means that, as long as you contact a reputable, professional landscaping service in Somerset County with a proven track record, you can rest assured that you’re getting a fair quote for your landscaping or hardscaping project.
A Contractor’s Steps to Cost Assessment
To execute on any of the above mentioned projects, professional landscapers consider these basic steps to reach a cost assessment for your project.
- Area Assessment: This involves a walk-through of the project area so that the landscaper can take the necessary measurements, as well as gauge light, shade, drainage conditions, the prevalence of animals and setbacks (if the project involves planting or hardscaping).
- Design Assessment: This involves creating a design scheme or layout for the project.
- Required Materials & Cost of Labor: This includes whatever materials your project will require, as well as the manpower and the necessary equipment to get the job done.
- Overhead: This includes taxes, insurance and fuel, plus operational, advertising and administrative costs.
Finally, contractors consider the price ceiling for the area. For example, they’ll research the current ceiling for similar landscaping projects in central NJ and the competitive environment, then offer you a competitive quote. When assessing cost, landscapers have to factor in all of these costs before providing you with a price quote.
Landscape Pricing: Line-Item Costs to Consider
After your contractor has assessed your customized project and provided a price quote, you’ll know the specific details that influenced the overall cost. Depending on your contractor, your pricing could also show individual costs broken as separate line items.
For Somerset County NJ (as well as the rest of Central New Jersey), typical line items are:
- Design Fees: Costs associated with developing a master plan for the project
- Consultation Fees: Costs associated with advising homeowners that may wish to have a professional assessment of the exterior of a home before a purchase or advice for DIY homeowners
- Permitting Fees: Costs associated with paying both the contractor to assist in the permit process, as well as 3rd party fees such as township or development/association fees
- Labor and Material Fees: Costs directly related to the contractor doing the installation during the construction phase
Most Popular Types of Landscaping Projects
To design your customized landscaping project, you can choose from a long list of installation and design services that most landscapers typically offer. To create a beautiful, functional design, you should combine both planting and garden-related services, as well as hardscaping, which is the installation of manmade and natural features. All of the following services are the most common that make up landscape pricing in central NJ. Choose a unique combination of these services to create a dynamic and interesting landscape design.
- Patio Installation
- Driveway Installation
- Walkway Installation
- Step Installation
- Pillar/Column Installation
- Pool, Spa & Pool Decking Installation
- Outdoor Kitchen/Bar Installation
- Outdoor Fire Pit Installation
- Outdoor Fireplace Installation
- Drainage Solutions
- Retaining & Seating Wall Installation
- Water Features Installation
- Irrigation Installation
- Planting Services (grass, flowers, hedges, shrubbery, trees)
- Lawn/Turf Design and Layout
- Landscape & Garden Design/Layout Services
- Pruning & Weeding Services
- Seasonal Change Outs, Annuals & Container Plantings
- Consulting Services
- Excavation Services
- Removal Services
- Lawn Resloping or Re-grading
- Exterior Lighting Installations
- Fences & Gates
- Installation of Decorative Objects (statuary, etc.)
- Installation of Outdoor Structures (gazebos, pergolas, roofs, awnings, heaters, etc.)
- Installation of Furniture
- Audio/Visual Services such as outdoor speakers, music and TVs
- Repair services
- Foundation Wall Work
- Playset Installation
Creating Outdoor Living Spaces
In addition, the right landscaper can also create luxurious outdoor living spaces for you and your family by improving the design, safety and convenience of your property with the abovementioned services. In recent years, outdoor kitchens and bars have become especially popular. These typically include the installation of high-tech, weather-proof grills and other cooking appliances, as well as spacious dining areas for entertaining. Outdoor living rooms are another popular option, as these provide extra living space while giving you a chance to enjoy the beauty of your yard and garden.
With a multitude of landscape design options to choose from, landscape pricing for your customized project in Somerset County NJ will vary. To ensure the best resale value possible for your home, choose reputable contractor that is experienced and willing to help you customize the landscape design of your dreams.
Why Choose Parker Homescape?
We have transformed hundreds of landscapes in and around the Somerset, Hunterdon, Essex and Union County areas, including Short Hills, Warren and Basking Ridge since our founding in 2006. Unlike many of our competitors, we undertake only one client project at a time, ensuring that every deadline is met and that every detail is considered. Additionally, a lead foreman with over 30 years of experience oversees your project from start to finish. This approach makes us one of the most sought after landscape design companies in Central New Jersey, and translates into a seamless, stress-free experience for you and your family.
Whether creating an outdoor living space, installing custom landscape lighting or building a custom outdoor fireplace, we believe that each landscape project is unique. We proudly promise customized solutions, superior customer service and competitive pricing for each of our clients.